1. My job title is Library Assistant. I would prefer if it is changed to Library Information Services Representative. The reason is the libraries I work at provide more than just traditional book lending and reference work. My job duties also encompass the council services where I collect payments and perform receipting functions. Occasionally there is the odd Council related query such as consent resources, LIM applications and parking and dog infringements. I am always providing front line support services in my library.
2. I don't think the days of traditional libraries and archives are numbered. The way we work and the tasks we perform will change as time goes on, but the main tenet of the profession as I see it of assisting people to locate information and looking after resources, remain the same. Librarians are still needed to guide the users to information. People see the library as a community facility and a place to visit for work, study or pleasure. A lot of patrons still prefer the 'human factor' rather than a machine serving them. Many also use books for their recreational reading and despite the increasing availability of e-book readers, there are still many who do not want to or can't afford this technology. This of course will be quite different in 20 years' time, and the next decade or so will determine the future of libraries. Librarians can influence how our future unfolds, so should be aware of technologies and enable them to work for us!
3. The library I work in is a large public library. Much of our services is electronic. Our main method of searching is a web-linked OPAC. We also use the internet extensively to assist in information searches and to verify data(such as finding out the title of a book). We use and offer E-resources (databases), website with content written by staff as well as links to external sites, downloadable audio books, use of external links in the catalogue to electronic documents(especially for government information)and we communication with patrons by email. Books are checked in and out using the Millenium system. Fines and courtesy reminders are automatically generated.
A number of our librarians are involved in Any Questions online homework help. We offer internet to our library users including free wireless internet access. There are also computer skill class conducted to enhance lifelong learning in this information age.
No comments:
Post a Comment