Tuesday, April 5, 2011

SMALL TASK MODULE 2 PAGE 8

There are many elements in my living and working environments that have directly or indirectly affected my life such as:
. Television has evolved over the years from a black and white image to digital sharper images. I also use the teletext daily to catch up on news and weather quickly
. Internet has made such a significant impact on my life because so many of our daily activities revolve around the Web. Information can be promptly available such as bank balances and purchasing airlines tickets with instant confirmation and seat requests
. Emails and Weblogs are replacing postal and snail mail as a means of communication. I enjoy reading the Readers Advisory Blog on my libraries’ websites and it helps me select my books
. Computers are electronic machines that stores and analysis information fed into it. I use the computer to type my assignments. Patrons in the libraries use the computer to access emails, Internet, play games or do their homework. In this sense it is an invaluable facility by the libraries as part of the community service. I also need a laptop for my power point presentations as a good visual aid during meetings
. Cell phones have become such a important communicating tool in today’s society. One could just carry them anywhere as compared to a landline unit. As cell phone have gone beyond talking, I also make of use of them to do a lot of texting as these are cheaper than calling, taking photos and accessing my emails. I do not suppose Alexander Graham Bell could have thought such technology possible
. Books and printed materials have progressed into a new form of publications namely eBooks and digitised materials. One good example that has benefited me greatly is the opportunity to use online databases and access articles electronically for my distance learning with The Open Polytechnic. This has enabled extramural and long distance learning to be more popular
. Whole encyclopaedias, journals, newspapers can also now be accessed through the website and databases for information
. Fax Machines have been so useful in working environments as the receiving party can obtain any document from anywhere in the world immediately. Also signatures can be verified instantly as compared to the old days of delivery by hand or post
. Photocopiers are probably V. Bush’s definition of dry photography. Organization and offices cannot do without them as their use is so invaluable. Although they are mainly used to reproduce more materials within the confines of the Copyright Act, modern photocopying machines can also be used for printing or scanning materials if they are connected to the computer
. Records and archival documents are digitised or converted to microfiche format to save space and easier access
. Digital cameras, video cameras have only been around since the 1990s. As compared to still photography in my younger days, these days any occasion can be documented and recorded visually and vocally. Moreover taking photos on a digital camera will enable me to instantly see whether my pictures have turned out well, failing which I can just retake them whereas previously I need to bring rolls of film to be processed in stores
. Barcodes and scanners are invaluable to any retail store at checkouts. I remembered checkout staff needed to punch in prices of items individually to total up the bill just as librarians used stamps for due dates on labels affixed to the book. Automation has made life easier and less labour intensive

No comments: